Donnerstag, Juni 16, 2011

Holland Brothers' Kinetoscope Parlor



Auf der Suche nach was ganz anderem bin ich auf die Spuren des vermutlich ersten Kinos der Welt gestoßen. Nein - eigentlich trifft der Begriff Kino nicht zu, denn das ist ja gemeinhin ein Saal, in dem viele Menschen gleichzeitig einen Film verfolgen, der für alle an eine Leinwand projeziert wird. Soweit, dass man schon Filme für mehrere Leute gleichzeitig projezieren konnte, war die Technik 1894 noch nicht. Aber man konnte schon Filme drehen und konnte sie auch schon gegen ein Entgelt abspielbar machen. In Einzelboxen - ein Film - ein Zuschauer. Ein Verkaufsprinzip, das es heute noch geben soll, allerdings nur bei einer ganz speziellen Kategorie Film, den der Zuschauer üblicherweise alleine sehen möchte.


Bei den Songlines bin auf die Spuren des weltersten Filmhauses gestoßen:
"1153: Three Kings Trading is on the site of Holland Brothers' Kinetoscope Parlor, the world's first movie house-- where Edison's hand-cranked movies were first shown on April 6, 1894. Built on the site of the studio of John Rogers, a popular 19th Century sculptor."
http://www.nysonglines.com/broadway.htm


Die Adresse liegt nur wenige Straßen oberhalb des Madison Square am Broadway zwischen 26th und 27th Street. Die Wikipedia, die hier ausführlich über die amerikanischen Ursprünge des Kinos berichtet, kann ebenfalls etwas zu der Urzelle der Filmtheater sagen:



"April 14, 1894, a public Kinetoscope parlor was opened by the Holland Bros. in New York City at 1155 Broadway, on the corner of 27th Street—the first commercial motion picture house. The venue had ten machines, set up in parallel rows of five, each showing a different movie. For 25 cents a viewer could see all the films in either row; half a dollar gave access to the entire bill.  The machines were purchased from the new Kinetoscope Company, which had contracted with Edison for their production; the firm, headed by Norman C. Raff and Frank R. Gammon, included among its investors Andrew M. Holland, one of the entrepreneurial siblings, and Edison's former business chief, Alfred O. Tate. The ten films that comprise the first commercial movie program, all shot at the Black Maria, were descriptively titled: Barber Shop, Bertoldi (mouth support) (Ena Bertoldi, a British vaudeville contortionist), Bertoldi (table contortion), Blacksmiths, Roosters (some manner of cock fight), Highland Dance, Horse Shoeing, Sandow (Eugen Sandow, a German strongman), Trapeze, and Wrestling. As historian Charles Musser describes, a "profound transformation of American life and performance culture" had begun. A San Francisco Kinetoscope parlor, ca. 1894–95.Twenty-five cents for no more than a few minutes of entertainment was hardly cheap diversion. For the same amount, one could purchase a ticket to a major vaudeville theater; when America's first amusement park opened in Coney Island the following year, a 25-cent entrance fee covered admission to three rides, a performing sea lion show, and a dance hall. The Kinetoscope was an immediate success, however, and by June 1, the Hollands were also operating venues in Chicago and San Francisco."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetoscope



Sonstige Quellen: Google und
http://www.phsc.ca/holland-bros.html

Zum Abschluss noch ein paar jener Filme, die zu den allerersten gehörten, die 1894 von Edison in seinem Studio namens Black Maria auf der anderen Seite des Hudson Rivers in Orange, New Jersey gedreht wurden und die bei den Holland Brothers gelaufen sein mögen:















Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar posten