Dienstag, April 26, 2011

The Playpen


Ich habe noch ein interessantes Gebäude gefunden, welches in die Kategorie "Gone not forgotten" einzusortieren ist. Diese Kategorie von Gebäuden hat bisher im Blog noch nicht allzu viel Aufmerksamkeit erhalten, deshalb ist es mal an der Zeit, das zu ändern. Das "Playpen" war ein Pornokino, das an der 8th Avenue zwischen 43rd und 44th Street lag.


Die Geschichte des Gebäudes, das im Beaux Arts - Stil erbaut wurde, begann 1916. Ursprünglich handelte es sich wohl um ein Kino mit dem Namen "Ideal Theatre".

"The Ideal Theatre was built for Consolidated Amusements Enterprises, one of the largest of the early movie theater circuits in the east. The trade journal The Music Trade Review of November 6, 1915, published an encomium penned by Consolidated's head, Lawrence Bolognino, in praise of the instruments of the American Photo Player Co., which had been installed in a number of the circuit's houses.

The Ideal was then under construction, and a $5,000 Fotoplayer had been ordered for it. Other theaters being operated by Consolidated (each with a Fotoplayer among its accouterments) included the Drury Lane Theatre, the Regent Theatre, the Seventy-Second Street Playhouse, and the Morningside Theatre."

In den 1930ern trug das Kino den Namen "Cinecitta" (nach der Filmstadt in Rom), in den 1940ern änderte sich der Name in "Squire". Diese Anzeige aus dem Jahr 1943 bewirbt ein Doppel-Feature anlässlich der großen Neueröffnung nach einer kompletten Renovierung.


In den 1950ern wurde aus dem "Squire" das "Cameo" und das Theater entwickelte sich langsam aber sicher zu einem Ort für Erwachsenenunterhaltung. Ein Kino mit 598 Sitzen und einer einzigen Leinwand.



Mittlerweile sind wir im Jahr 1970 angekommen und es wird folgendes Programm gespielt:


Spätestens in den 1970ern wird aus dem Kino ein Pornokino, in dem nur noch Filme der Kategorie XXX-rated auf dem Programm sind. In diesem Zusammenhang muss man sich erinnern, dass wir uns nur einen Straßenblock westlich vom Times Square befinden und der Times Square, insbesondere die 42nd Street,  war zu dieser Zeit eine große Ansammlung von Theatern mit Erwachsenenshows und von Pornokinos. Mit der Hochglanz-Touristenmeile von heute ist das damalige Erscheinungsbild dieses Viertels nicht zu vergleichen. Einen guten Eindruck vermittelt sicherlich der Film Taxi Driver aus dem Jahr 1976, in dem man Robert de Niro wiederholt als Besucher von Pornokinos begleitet.  Hier das Cameo im Jahr 1983:


Nachschlag 1:
Intuitiv habe ich nachträglich mal Forgotten NY zum Playpen befragt und siehe da, es gibt einen Streifzug durch genau die Gegend mit den ganzen Ferkelfilm-Buden und einen interessanten kleinen Essay über das Cameo.


"Bill Landis and Michelle Clifford's Deuce primer, "Sleazoid Express," described the Cameo-Playpen thusly:

The Cameo was located down-and-dirty right on what was known in the mid-1970s as the "Minnesota strip." The boulevards of sexual and financial needs collided here, attracting underage runaways like moths to a flame. It was a block so deep-fried in its own gristle that it was held up nationwide as a pinnacle of American degeneracy, a sexual Bermuda triangle where porn, exploitation filmmaking, and prostitution were likned together. It was a point of infamy in American archeology.

The Cameo was owned by Chelly Wilson, the ipsissimus of Times Square's pyramid of pornographic film producers, exhibitors, and directors. She had an illustrious pedigree in the history of bottom-drawer exploitation film, bringing the world everything from black-and-white softcore straight movies to gay hardcore movies. a Greek emigré, Chelly named her theatres after love-characters from Hellenic mythology, such as Venus, Eros and Adonis....

During the 1972-1977 porno-chic era, the Cameo's kinky fare drew elbow-to-elbow crowds of voyeur film lovers, who ran to the theatre before any loathsome hack censor's scissors could whittle down their kicks. Despite the chaotic atmosphere inside the theatre and outside on the street, appreciative crowds always packed in for premieres of films like Alex de Renzy's sado-scatalogical "Femmes de Sade"..."



Wir machen einen Sprung voran in der Zeit und erreichen die frühen 1990er. Aus dem "Cameo" ist jetzt das "Adonis" geworden und der Name verrät, auf was sich das Kino mittlerweile spezialisiert hat: Schwulenpornos (gay porn).



Irgendwann nach 1994 schließlich erreichte das Gebäude seine letzte Inkarnation und aus dem "Adonis" wird das "Playpen". Das Viertel um die 42nd Street und den Times Square hat man in der Zwischenzeit gesäubert und touristengerecht als Anziehungspunkt gestaltet. Die Schmuddelecken dagegen sind fast verschwunden. Das Playpen ist im neuen Millenium einer der letzten verbliebenen Schuppen in der Umgebung, in der der geneigte Besucher sich noch Live Peepshows ansehen kann.








2007 schließt das Playpen nach 91jähriger wechselhafter Geschichte für immer seine Pforten, 2008 folgt der Abriß und damit das Ende.





Bleibt nur noch die Frage nach der Gegenwart. Und die sieht laut Street View so aus:



Hier gibt es noch einen ganz kurzen Film mit bewegten Bildern vom Playpen, leider nicht einzubetten:
http://youtu.be/rE8He9tG78Q

hier ist noch ein bisschen Bildmaterial vom "alten" Times Square:





Quellen: Google, Songlines und weitere:

Auf das Thema gestoßen bin ich dank der Songlines, ich war eigentlich auf der Suche nach ganz etwas anderem:
http://www.nysonglines.com/8av.htm

"693: A 1916 Beaux Arts building housed the Ideal Theater, which later became the X-rated Cameo (becoming the gay-oriented Adonis after 1990), and then was one of Times Square's last remaining live peep shows--closed in 2007, demolished 2008."

Über das Playpen und Details aus seinem Programm:
http://gawker.com/#!299570/the-last-live-nude-peepshow-girls-in-manhattan

Cinema Treasures über das Playpen, interessant ist vor allem der Kommentarbereich, das Kino scheint noch vielen Besuchern in Erinnerung geblieben zu sein
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/7531/

Über den Film "Erotic Salad", der 1970 im Cameo gespielt wurde:
http://www.eroticsalad.com/home.html

Porn under a bad sign. Kevin Walsh von Forgotten NY unternimmt einen interessanten Streifzug durch das sündige Viertel
http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SCENES/8thavenue/8ave.html

Nachschlag 2:

Hier gibt es noch einen interessanten englischsprachigen Artikel, der sich mit den bekanntesten Pornokinos in New York befasst, darunter auch das Playpen. Neu ist vor allem der Bericht über ein Unglück mit 19 Verletzten, welches sich 1946 ereignete.
http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/70/70stevenson.php

"But The Adonis lived on, its name transferred to another theatre owned by Chelly Wilson further south on Eighth Avenue, almost to 44th Street, on the west side of the avenue. This venue had most recently been known as The Cameo before its closure in 1989, but Wilson had in all probability been running it as far back as 1964 when she programmed the infamous Olga movies there. This was also an architecturally significant structure. As a poster marvelled, it possessed one of the most "distinctive facades of any surviving theatre from the early 20th century, a kind of heroic Palladian composition . . . with a breathtaking interior. Stone fixtures made almost 100 years ago could still be seen in the back."16


This became the new home of The Adonis and was quickly outfitted with campy Greek statues and the like. The black velvet photo display of stills from A Night at the Adonis was reinstalled here, and some nostalgic staffer had also put up clippings about the old Tivoli/Adonis. Bertha the cashier and other employees who had sworn allegiance to Ms. Wilson could now be found toiling in this new location. But at this late stage in the game there seemed to be a mummy's curse laid upon all adult theatres, and the new Adonis also gradually succumbed, evidencing increasing blight. In 1994 it was closed by the City's health department after a raid revealed high-risk sexual activities taking place among patrons. The neon sign that adorned the new Adonis was unceremoniously blowtorched to pieces, the chunks tossed into a dumpster.

The theatre later reopened as The Playpen, and a new sign that traced the NYC city skyline in red neon behind the reclining outline of a nude female was installed on the marquee. But its revival as a functioning theatre was short-lived. It was simply pointless in this day and age for a sex emporium to show movies on a single screen, and, like so many venues that had once served that function, it was gutted, the seats taken out and booths installed. Here girls performed for a fee, while the balcony was transformed into a male section with "buddy booths." A brief description of The Playpen surfaces in Sasha Cagen's '90s fanzine Cupsize, dedicated to riot grrrl politics and bisexuality. She describes the lobby of the Play Pen as "a house of love, a mirrored, bejewelled carnivalesque hallway," where a woman sold tokens from behind a yellow booth.

The Playpen was closed in September 2007. It was the end of another slab of movie lore that had stretched back to 1916 when it had opened as The Ideal Theater, later to go through numerous name changes and booking policy shifts that saw it screen Italian and Russian films and "girlie" sexploiters in the '50s. In 1970 it became the city's showcase venue for John Lamb's Sexual Freedom in Denmark, which laid the groundwork for the exhibition of hardcore porn.


Perhaps the theater's most dramatic moment occurred in 1946 when the 1943 film Dr. Terror's House of Horrors was playing. The New York Times reports that "during a tense moment on screen one evening a 10 x 20 foot section of the theater's ceiling fell down, injuring 19 patrons. Those in the front seats were unruffled, thinking they were hearing sound effects."17

By the time the old movie house checked out at 91 years of age, the only sound effects were paid dancers faking moans of pleasure."

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar posten